Re: [VE][257] Error Message Feedback

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Brad M wrote:

> I am not sure what this line is in my html, and the validator is
> saying it is wrong.

There's a syntax error in it.

> Can I just delete it, or do I need it.

You should fix it. It's useful if your document's encoding is really what
the tag says. But it's not needed, and the appropriate way is to use HTTP
headers for the purpose.

> My HTML editor placed it in my code.

Get your money back then. :-)

> Line 8, column 17: an attribute value specification must be an
> attribute value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified

The error message is admittedly confusing, but the error is simple:
the value "Content-Type" must be in quotation marks, if you are using
XHTML, as you apparently are.