Re: [VE][123] Error Message Feedback

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Nathan Malkin wrote:

> A Meta Tag with this exact name is required by Microsoft FrontPage to
> function properly.

It only affects FrontPage, so you could remove the tag from the version
you upload onto a server. But this would unfortunately break FrontPage's
philosophy: it wants to have full control over what you have on the server
and how you upload it.

It's a strange decision by Microsoft to use such a name, instead of
"Microsoft.Theme" for example. Probably they simply didn't bother thinking
about HTML validity, still less what would be an appropriate method for
internal bookkeeping in an authoring program. (Using a comment would have
made more sense.)

> Is there any way to get around the attribute having
> to be a single token?

The name attribute is declared as being of type NAME, so the way around
this would be to change this declaration in the DTD. Your document would
not conform to the HTML 4.01 specification if it uses a DTD other than
those listed in the spec, but neither does it conform to it now, and
neither _can_ it conform if it uses a tag against the spec. By using a
modified DTD, you would at least declare explicitly the syntax you purport
to use, and you could use a validator to check whether you comply to
_that_ syntax.

But I'm afraid FrontPage wants to have control over the DOCTYPE
declaration as well, or at least might overwrite your own DOCTYPE
declaration in some situations.

Since it's just one nonstandard tag per document, it's simplest
to accept the fact that the validator reports it.