Re: Document without charset

On 9 Dec 2005, at 00:53, Andreas Prilop wrote:

> Reference:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.unics.uni-hannover.de/
> nhtcapri/test.htm
>
> The validator says:
>
> | Encoding:   utf-8
> | Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because [...]
> | it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8
>
> This is not helpful!
> Why does the validator assume UTF-8 in the first place?

This is a bug.

There is a routine for the validator to try and detect the character
encoding by all ways described by the specs. What it is supposed to
do if it does not find anything is to output a warning about no
character encoding found, and point to this documentation:
http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-charset

The fact that instead, it defaults to utf-8 and does not output the
warning is indeed a bug, introduced a few months ago it seems. We'll
look into fixing it as soon as possible.

Thanks,
olivier
--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/