Re: [VE][63] Error Message Feedback

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Curtis Brown wrote:

> I get the following four errors when trying to validate:
> http://www.spectraldesign.net/ but I think the problem is in the
> validator routine.

It isn't, and it seems that you have found the problem in your markup,
since the page now validates.

>       | <option value="Design" />*D*esign|

The problem was that you had used the "/" character inside the tag,
making the tag "self-closing". The markup

<option value="Design">Design</option>

(which you have now) is correct.

Although <option value="..." /> would as such be valid, it
would be equivalent to <option value="..."></option>, so that
the text of the option would be empty. Moreover this would
violate the recommend to use "self-closing" tags only for
elements with _declared_ EMPTY content such as img or br
(i.e. for elements that _cannot_, by XHTML syntax rules,
have any content).