Re: checklink: Link checker unable to read working urls

* J. Grant wrote:
>I wonder if you are aware of the present link problem with the link
>checker?  It seems unable to read valid, working urls.  I checked these
>in my browser just now.  Any ideas?
>http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorders/dmre85hebs/index.htm
>     What to do: The link is broken. Fix it NOW!
>     Response status code: 404
>     Response message: Object Not Found
>     Line: 130

The server is broken, it responds with 404 to the HEAD request *and* the
response contains a body,

  % http-head http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dvd-recorders/dmre85hebs/index.htm
  HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found
  Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:47:08 GMT
  Connection: close

>http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/23/1939225&mode=thread&tid=156
>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/18/2257257&tid=126&tid=1
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis

Slashdot has a robots.txt that prohibes access (though I would expect
checklink to tell you that so there might be something else going on),
wikipedia.org blocks checklink,

  % HEAD -H"User-Agent: W3C-checklink/4.0 [4.5] libwww-perl/5.800" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis
  HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
  Connection: close