Re: Validator bug in parsing LINK and META tags

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Umpa lump wrote:

> There is a certain bug in Validator.

Maybe, but most claims about validator bugs are based on
misunderstandings.

> When parsing LINK and META tags:
> Validator returns error when one of above tag is closed with "/>", but
> everything works fine were closing with ">"

Luckily I got my crystal ball repaired, so I can tell the solution even
without the URL of a page that you tried to validate:

You have specified an HTML 4.01 document type but your document contains
some fashionable XHTML features such as the mysterious "/>" instead of ">"
in empty element tags. Thus you need to
- change the DOCTYPE declaration to a suitable XHTML DOCTYPE, _or_
- change the markup to match the DOCTYPE declaration, i.e. to HTML 4.01,
  removing the slashes.
The latter is the practical approach, because e.g. IE does not support
XHTML (unless you fool it into treating it as good old HTML).

For a detailed explanation of the confusion, see
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html