Re: "value" attribute deprecated

Hello Marshall,
[changing subject to something useful]

On Sep 3, 2004, at 8:21, Buhl, Marshall wrote:
> I got this error and I don't understand why:
> <li value="36">Sihn, Sangwook; Tsai, Stephen W.&nbsp; (November
> 1998).&nbsp;

Most likely this is the reason:

> This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict"
> document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the
> "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute)

value as an attribute for li is deprecated and not present in all
document types. You are using it in a document type that does not allow
it, and the validator does its job by telling you you should not.

> I think you should either modify your web site so that it shows the
> attribute "value" is deprecated or fix your validator to allow it.

There is nothing to fix in the validator (as explained above), and the
very document you quoted
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/lists.html) actually mentions that
value is deprecated. in <strong> tags, even...

This attribute has been deprecated for a reason: it's probably not very
useful anyway. But if you really want to use it, no problem, just use a
document type that includes it, such as HTML 4.01 transitional.

Regards,
--
olivier