Re: Problem with Validator

Hi Oliver, thanks for your reply.  I agree, that message you linked to
does make is sound like an openSP issue.  However, the SGML Parser
parameter points to /usr/local/bin/onsgmls and when I run ./onsgmls
-version on it the version shows 1.5.1.  I did originally have a version
issue (it was 1.3.4) and the validator wouldn't produce any output.  Once
I pointed validator to the 1.5.1 version of the parser, it produced the
output I pasted in the original email.

Running onsgmls from the command line against index.html, using the
catalog file from the validator directory outputted no errors.

As for the debug options, I just can't get them to work.  In the URL to
validate field I enter:

http://server.com/index.html&debug=1&errors=1&esis=1&verbose=1

and this returns a 404 not found error.  The server is definitly up and
running on our intranet.  .

bob

olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Sent by: www-validator-request@w3.org
09/01/2004 08:36 PM

robert_schopp@us.ibm.com
cc
www-validator@w3.org
Subject
Re: Problem with Validator

Hello Robert,

I am short of time right now to investigate and answer, but here's a
first guess.

On Sep 2, 2004, at 5:37, robert_schopp@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Hello All - I installed the W3C HTML Validator v0.6.7 on a RedHat 9
> system using the tarball downloads.  When I validate a small html
> file, the first two (of many) errors are
>
> ********************
> Line 2, column 38: URL not supported by this version
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>  Line 2, column 38: DTD did not contain element declaration for
> document type name
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>  ********************

This definitely sounds like an openSP issue. Which version do you have?

Also, the first web search result when querying "URL not supported by
this version" is a thread on sourceforge about openjade (opensp):
                 http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?
thread_id=3362887&forum_id=2436

> The SGML Library path in validator.conf is pointing to the correct
> /sgml-lib directory, and the loose.dtd file is in the proper
> subdirectory.

hmm okay, so that may rule out configuration issues. You may want to
try to append the debug options to the validation URI, as explained
here:
                 http://validator.w3.org/docs/install#install-troubleshoot

This might give you extra info on what's going wrong. This option will
make the validator output the command to call openSP, trying that
command from a shell may give hints too.

HTH,
--
olivier