Re: [VE][53] Error Message Feedback

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Norman <penorman@mac.com>
To: Vincent Hallberg <vincent.hallberg@secret-agent.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:24:40 -0700
Subject: Re: [VE][53] Error Message Feedback

> On 21-Oct-04, at 11:43 AM, Vincent Hallberg wrote:
>
> > I’m working on page with over 1500 lines of code in it and have about
> > 1000 lines of that devoted to JavaScript.
> >
> > The JavaScipt portion starts off like this on line 166:
> >
> > <script charset="iso-8859-1" type="text/javascript">
> > <!-- //
> >
> > And ends like this on line 1241:
> > // -->
> > </script>
> >
> > Along the way I have a number of lines of code that look like this:
> >
> > for (a = opts.length; a > 0; --a) {
> You've ended your comment with that --
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.4

Thank you for the pointer Paul but I think you misread my original
description above, "And ends like this on line 1241: // -->".

> > Obviously there is a problem in the HTML Validator when parsing very
> > long pages of code like this, specifically dealing with the double
> > hyphens -- which you eventually see at the bottom of your JavaScript
> > code.
> What you've described happening is the correct behaviour.

Is this correct based on your misreading of my original description or is
the Validator simply limited in it's ability to read these long chunks of
commented JavaScript?

> > Do you guys have a work around or even know about this problem?
> The easiest solution for fixing your code is to move the javascript
> into an external file. This also tends to make maintenance easier and
> reduce the size of your pages if the script is common to multiple
> pages.

This was my intent, only after I was out of dev stage, but good suggestion
none the less.

Vince