Re: Codepage

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> I don't think the validator should be enhanced to support
> such encodings.

Where's the problem ?  All it needs to know is that this stuff
is MIME compatible with Cr, Lf, Tab, Sp, <, &, >, etc. at the
same places as in windows-1252.  It's even a reported bug resp.
missing feature.

> unsuitable for use in public networks.

Today it's either windows-1252 or Unicode for scripts roughly
covered by Latin-1.  But if you need box drawing characters
you have a real problem.  Not limited to DOS and OS/2 fans,
curses ACSC also uses box drawing characters.  Of course you
find them all in Unicode, somewhere, but that's not the same
as "all browsers support it" or "Web-friendly".

> this also makes your page more Web-friendly

I doubt it, only one of my browsers (Lynx) gets this right,
more or less.  But you can test it with your browsers:

<http://purl.net/xyzzy/xhtml.htm>  (output of xhtml.kex)
<http://purl.net/xyzzy/ibm850.htm> (incl. PC graphics)

Essentially your idea, convert to Latin-1 and use references,
but I used us-ascii resp. windows-1252 instead of Latin-1.

                          Bye, Frank