Re: end tag for "head" which is not finished - when no title

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Richard at Yowsie wrote:

> I got the error
>
> end tag for "head" which is not finished
>
> when what I had actually done was omitted a title

That's a rather common situation.

> Is it possible to make the message more specific?

I don't know the internals of the validator, but it _should_ be possible.
After all, the parser _should_ know which elements it is missing,
otherwise it cannot tell that an element "is not finished" (which is a
somewhat odd formulation, since there _is_ an end tag for it - it's just
not _validly_ finished).

As an educated guess, I think the validator could be modified to report
something like

End tag for element "..." found, but the element lacks required
subelement(s): "..." or "..." or ...

where the "..." strings would have to be generated from the parameters of
the parsing routine.

But this really depends on the parser. If the above is not possible, then
I would suggest a reformulation like

End tag for element "..." found, but the element lacks some required
subelement(s).

(Not very brilliant, but correct, and points to the right direction.)

Or maybe as the http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/
validator puts it:

Missing a required sub-element of ...