Re: [VE][68] Error Message Feedback

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Jani Sarviluoma wrote:

> Why do I get an error message from this:
>
> <a class="tekstissa" href="http://www.instrumentariumimaging.com/"
> target="blank">GE Medical/Instrumentarium Imaging Oy</a>

There is no reportable markup error in that fragment itself.
Either something was changed when you copied it from the actual document,
or there was an error before the fragment, causing the fragment to be
processed as something different from what was meant.

This illustrates why you should always post a URL when asking for help
with a validation problem.

> Line 273, column 99: end tag for "A" omitted, but its declaration does not
> permit this
> ....aging.com/" target="blank">GE Medical/Instrumentarium Imaging Oy</a>
>
> Error comes from character "/" between Medical and Instrumentarium.

For example, if the <a> element is preceded by
then you get exactly that error message, along with two other messages.

(The attribute target="blank" is valid in HTML 4.01 Transitional, but it
probably hasn't got quite the meaning you expect. You know the difference
between target="blank" and target="_blank"?)