Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 16:02 -0600, Brad M wrote:
> I am trying to understand what each doctype is, and what is allowed.

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html (most documents should
be written in HTML 4.01 Strict given the current level of browser
support for HTML/XHTML and CSS).

The URI in the Doctype declaration describes the elements and attributes
that exist for the DTD.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/readspec/ can help you interpret them
(I suggest you focus on the specification itself:
http://w3.org/TR/html4/ )

> Line 26, column 11: there is no attribute "SRC"
> Line 26, column 45: there is no attribute "QUALITY"
> Line 26, column 60: there is no attribute "BGCOLOR"

You have a large number of attributes which are not defined in the DTD
you are using - all of them are due to you using the <embed> element -
which ...

> Line 26, column 254: element "EMBED" undefined

... also isn't defined.

The correct element for generic media inclusion is "object". Google has
plenty of resources on writing code to include Macromedia Flash objects
which is both valid and able to work around limitations in browser
implementations of the specification.