Re: Query on W3C Link Checker Capabilities

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 08:42, Rahul Prabhakar wrote:

> I would like to know whether the W3C Link Checker checks for the
> relative path of the files before throwing an error for a broken link.
> I think it doesn't.

Checking relative links should most definitely work.  URL where this can
be reproduced, please?  Also double check that you don't have any
unintentional <base> elements in your HTML.

> I have my htm files put up in a top level folder called html. I got
> two sub folders for img_txt and Images that contain the alternate text
> htm files and all the gif files respectively.
>
> I zip the top level folder, the path info in the zip file is relative
> for img_txt  htm files and gif files.
>
> When I run the zip file through the W3C checker, it shows broken
> links. Why is that?

How do you "run the zip file through the W3C checker"?  It does not
support link checking inside zip (or other) archives.  Are you using the
online service at http://validator.w3.org/checklink or a local command
line version?

> Please clarify?

Ditto :)