Re: Validator Error (I think)

On 7 May 2004, at 13:08, Darren Candler wrote:
> I have  the following code on my page and when uploaded into the
> validator
> and it is throwing an error on the end head tag
> <head>
> <link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" />
> </head>

The error message is:
   Line 7, column 6: end tag for "head" which is not finished

The explanation says:
    Another possibility is that you used an element (e.g. 'ul') which
requires a child element (e.g. 'li') that you did not include. Hence
the parent element is "not finished", not complete.

The HTML specification says:
   <!ELEMENT HEAD O O (%head.content;) +(%head.misc;) -- document head
-->
and
   The TITLE element is not considered part of the flow of text.
   It should be displayed, for example as the page header or
   window title. Exactly one title is required per document.

You don't have a <title>, but it is required.

This is not an error with the validator.

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>