RE: Strange Problem

Try taking the -1 off of the end of our 8860 and see what happens.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: www-validator-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-validator-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Marc Philipp
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 6:09 AM
To: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Strange Problem

I have a problem using http://validator.w3.org/check/referer with a
xhtml document generated by a perl script.

I moved to a new server recently. Since then the following message
appears when i try validating the site:

" Sorry! A fatal error occurred when attempting to transcode the
   character encoding of the document. Either we do not support this
   character encoding yet, or you have specified a non-existent character
   encoding (often a misspelling).

   The detected character encoding was "-8860". "

However, my header looks like this:

"DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<head>
<title>mp. - News</title>

It looks like the -8859 is subtracted by 1 with the result of -8860
which of course is no valid character encoding. Looking at the source of
the referring site on the other hand shows the correct value.

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem before?

Sincerely,

Marc Philipp