Re: Error misinterpratations and limitations

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, XFox Prower wrote:

> Invalid can mean 2 things:
>
> 1. The tag or attribute is proprietary and has never
> existed in the standards in any DTD ever in existance.
>
> 2. The tag or attribute is invalid _in the specific
> DTD_ (or some, but not all DTDs).

No, it only means that the document contains reportable markup errors,
which means that it does not comply with the DTD it announces in a DOCTYPE
declaration, whatever that DTD is.

Whether the same organization, such as the W3C, that has issued that DTD
has also issued other DTDs is immaterial in validation. What you are
asking for is something essentially different from a validator. We could
surely use a _good_ general HTML checker, but that's a different issue.