Re: Character encoding in HTML4 example (Was: [www-validator] <none>)

Bonjour Laurent,

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004, dou1 wrote:
> On this adress : http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html#h-16.1
> You give an exemple of a simple frame document beginning with:

As a matter of fact, I think your message should have be sent to the
list of the HTML specification's editor, not this list where the
validator is discussed, but I will answer nevertheless.

> In fact, when testing it "as is", with the validation service, it is
> just "tentatively valid" because of character encoding missing.

First "tentatively valid" because of the lack of encoding declaration
does not mean "invalid", it means "I don't know the encoding, but when
I tried to validate anyway it worked". In other words, encoding is not
directly tied to validation of a document.

You may also know that there are different ways of setting one's
webserver or editing a document to declare it's encoding (see [1] for
plenty of details). meta http-equiv="Content-Type" is only one of these
methods, and not necessarily the most elegant: for example, the document
you are talking about could be put on a Web server and served *at the
HTTP level* with a character encoding declaration, and it would be
happily validated.

[1] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/#chars

Regards,
--