Re: [VE][79] Error Message Feedback

On Jul 27, 2004, at 3:16 AM, David Dorward wrote:
> To quote some more of the error message:
>         This is often caused by a leftover end tag from an element that
>         was removed during editing, or by an implicitly closed element

I cannot say whether this person just did not read the explanation or
did not understand it, but I suppose we could improve the bit on
"implicitly closed element".

MSG 79 is a bit long already:
[[
       The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that
element is
       not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end tag
from an
       element that was removed during editing, or by an implicitly
closed
       element (if you have an error related to an element being used
where it
       is not allowed, this is almost certainly the case). In the latter
case
       this error will disappear as soon as you fix the original problem.
       If this error occured in a script section of your document, you
should probably
       read this <a
href="http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-javascript">FAQ
entry</a>.
]]

I would suggest we drop part of the explanation of a leftover closing
tag (hoping that this is trivial enough to understand) and develop the
"implicit" part, e.g

[[
       The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that
element is
       not currently open. This is often be caused by an end tag not
matching any
       opened tag.
       If the matching opening tag seems to be present, it could be a
case where an
       element cannot be within another element (e.g. you can't have a
<ul> in a <p>),
       hence <em>implicitly</em> closing the tag, and leaving an
orphaned closing tag.
       If this error occured in a script section of your document, you
should probably
       read this <a
href="http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-javascript">FAQ
entry</a>.
]]

It probably makes the explanation bigger, but hopefully more useful.

Any opinion?
--
olivier