Re: [VE][410] Error Message Feedback

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004, Dainius wrote:
> I think that you forgot Macromedia Flash in HTML..

Your efforts to check your markup with the validator are muc
happreciated, but this sentence is very wrong, and I reckon there is a
rather deep misunderstanding behind your though. Facts:

- HTML is standardized by a working group at W3C. the result is the
  family of HTML (and XHTML) specifications which you can find at the
  W3C Web site.

- The Markup Validator tests pages claiming to be some version of HTML
  against a formal grammar for this language.

Specifically, if you are talking about embed:
>   6.. Line 37, column 171: element "EMBED" undefined

<embed> is not in any HTML specification, e.g it is not listed in :
 http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements
In other words, embed is not in HTML.

The validator actually tells you that, in its own words:

>   You have used the element named above in your document, but the
> document type you are using does not define an element of that
> name. This error is often caused by [...]
> using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or "<marquee>"
> (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect
> instead).

if you want to use flash, here is a good start:
 http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

I have to note that if you had searched in the archives for this
mailing-list before posting your message, as the feedback instructions
on the validator's site request, you would have found at least two or
three messages giving the answer to your problem in the past few weeks.

> Also there are some problems with special simbols, like • :
> Line 26, column 5: reference to non-SGML character
> I think you will correct it.

Again, if you had searched the Web before being so sure it was the
validator's mistake, you would have found resources such as:
 http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20020401/108416.html
which tells you exactly what to do.

--
olivier