Re: [VE][108] Error Message Feedback

Hello Eric,

On Jul 17, 2004, at 3:12, Eric Mantooth wrote:
> I used your validation program to see how my site was, and I gave me a
> couple of incorrect errors.

WEll, maybe they weren't incorrect errors, only errors which were not
properly explained by the validator. Not knowing which document you
were trying to validate I can only give you a guess of what went
wrong...

> Line 19, column 124: there is no attribute "MARGINHEIGHT"

The validator most probably also gave you the following explanation:

[[ You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the
document type you are using does not support that attribute for this
element.  ...]]

For example, if you were using HTML401, check that the incriminated
attributes were allowed for the particular element you are using:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/attributes.html

> Do I have to capitalize the marginheight or put quotes around it?  It
> also did this for
> marginwidth, topmargin, leftmargin, hspace, vspace, and height.

No, you probably don't have to capitalize them. As a matter of fact,
depending on the doctype you are using, lowercase is likely to be
correct. You should, however, try to see if CSS would allow you to do
the styling effects you are trying to achieve, without using forbidden
attributes.

> I also was wondering what the "ALT" attribute was- it gave me MANY
> errors because I didn't have it.

alt is an "alternate text", required for e.g images.
see	http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#adef-alt

Good luck
--
olivier