Re: Weird problem

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Aleksi Suhonen wrote:

> http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~ams/uus/validator_error.html

404.

> I suspected that it might have been because of the usage of

<script/> would be wrong.  Not necessarily invalid, but certainly wrong.
<script></script> is right.

> the validator just picked another random point in the document
> (the 'c' in 'type="text/css"' in fact) and gave the same error.

you didn't say what error.

>     <TITLE>

Capitals indicate an HTML doctype.  So the XML <script/> is bogus
in every way.

>        Axu's Homepage Version 3.0
>     </TITLE>
>       ATYPE CDATA text/javascript
>       ASRC CDATA http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~ams/apu/default.js
>     <SCRIPT>
>        > <link rel="StyleSheet" type="text

What's happening is (broadly speaking) explained in
http://valet.webthing.com/page/parsemode.html
Validate in "web" or "fussy" mode and use a strict doctype to get more
meaningful error reports.

> So the parser is definately being thrown off at some point.

That's a problem if you use a hopelessly loose doctype, designed for
legacy stuff in 1997/8.

--
Nick Kew