Re: [bug] name and id

Hello Pete,

On Jan 14, 2004, at 0:30, Pete Comley wrote:

> Can you clarify for me - Why is the following true?
>
> * "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org> wrote:
> | ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be
> | followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"),
> | underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2000Dec/0018.html

The simplest answer to "why", I think, is "because that's how SGML
types are".
In other words, it's far less complicated to follow this rule in
(X)HTML than understanding its origin.

> What are the implications for accessibility when ID’s begin with an
> underscore say?

A user-agent may not be able to understand the id (thus ignoring it).
Potential results: can't follow a link to a particular position, can't
apply style...
I guess that affects accessibility.

> This email is strictly confidential.
[not quite, no...]