Re: Validate Local Pages

Patrick O'Loughlin wrote:
> Hi,
> I've written my C.V. using XHTML 1.0, using it as an opportunity to learn how to
> use XHTML. I used the w3c markup validation service to test my page and
> eventually got my page to be XHTML 1.0 strict compliant, so I decided to add the
> valid XHTML 1.0 link and icon to bottom of my C.V., however, if the button is
> clicked on, the validator does not work properly. I get the following message:
>
>         Sorry, this type of URI <http://www.w3.org/Addressing/#terms> scheme
>         <http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes> ("undefined") is not
>         supported by this service. Please check that you entered the URI correctly.
>
>         URIs should be in the form: |http://validator.w3.org/|
>
>         If you entered a valid URI using a scheme that we should support, please
>         let us know as outlined on our Feedback page
>         <http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html>. Make sure to include the
>         specific URI you would like us to support, and if possible provide a
>         reference to the relevant standards document describing the URI scheme
>         in question.
>
> I assume that this is because the page is local to my computer and does not have
> a URI which is accessible to the validator. Is there any possibility of a fix or
> workaround. I would appreciate it if a potential employer who I sent my C.V. to
> in XHTML would be able to click on the button and see that it is valid markup
> instead of an error message <g>.

Well, is the page not accessible via the web? Are you going to be
sending it to people as a file rather than sending them to a URL?

If it can't be reached by people with a web browser, how will the
validator reach it?

To test your page, you can upload it to the validator for the test, but
obviously you can't have a link to the validator that tells the
validator to check the document if the validator can't reach it, and it
can't reach it if it's not on the web...

Did that make sense? I'd suggest including the valid icons, but do not
link to the validator.

Pete