Re: Problem with Basic Authentication

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 14:20 -0800, Philip Mikal wrote:

> I used an HTTP sniffer to attempt to debug the problem and have the
> log attached to this email. It looks like the Validator requests the
> page twice before prompting the user 3x for credentials, the user
> enters them, but it never sends them to the target page.

That's probably because your validator instance never really receives
the credentials.  At least many versions of Apache don't pass basic auth
data to CGI scripts.  What web server are you running the validator in?

If Apache, see eg:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/1999JulSep/0140.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=SECURITY_HOLE_PASS_AUTHORIZATION