From: Satsangi, Vivek
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 2:51 PM
To: 'ivan@w3.org'; 'webmaster@w3.org'
Cc: 'Tsui, Erik'
Subject: Jigsaw logs?

Hi Ivan,
    I was trying to do some CSS validations on some of our pages when I
ran into an error. Since I was working on a problem that one of our
clients has been having,  (they only get a partial piece of the a page
and their browser sits there for ever) I suspect that it is our problem,
but the jigsaw server is a way I have to reproduce the error.

Basically, in Firefox, I try to validate CSS for a page on
www.xerox.com, and if I have not done a CSS validation in a while
(meaning jigaw has to open a new connection to our servers), I get an
error like:

Validator
Error

Target:
https://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/reg/login.jsp?app=MRS&Xcntry=USA&Xlang=en_U

java.lang.Exception: Unknown file

--------------------------------------- End quoted material
--------

This is when I use the following URL to validate the URL.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=
https%3A//www.xerox.com/go/xrx/reg/login.jsp%3Fapp%3DMRS%26Xcntry%3DUSA%
26Xlang%3Den_US

A different error that I also received is:

Target:
http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/template/pleasewait.jsp?app=MRS&transMessage
=Retrieving equipment information&Xcntry=USA&Xlang=en_US&metrics=notrack

I/O Error: Unable to contact target server www.xerox.com:80 after 3
tries.

--------------------------------------- End quoted material
--------

Yet another error that I saw yesterday was:

I/O Error 500: Premature end of chunked stream.

Finally, validator.w3.org also gave me an error:

I got the following unexpected response when trying to retrieve
<http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/reg/login.jsp?next_page=mrs%2famrinventory..
jsp%3fview%3dNewAMRMachines&Xcntry=USA&Xlang=en_US>:

	500 EOF when chunk header expected

Please make sure you have entered the URL correctly.

--------------------------------------- End quoted material
--------

This last two errors are similar to what our customer is seeing --
partial HTML pages returned. In any event, I was wondering if you can
help me by answering the following questions:

1. Do these sound like any known bugs in the css validator / html
validator and therefore these errors are not really problems for us? Are
other people seeing problems like this? The above pages are coming from
Akamai. I did not find errors when trying to do the validation on other
akamai clients (msnbc.com , columbiahouse.com) or akamai's own home
page.

2. If these are real problems, is it possible for us to some how get log
extracts from you or some other way to figure out what our server is
doing wrong so as to upset the jigaw server?

Thanks for any help that you can give us!!

Vivek