Re: [Fwd: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-i18n-html-tech-char-20040509/]

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 17:11, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>
> > Hi Validator Team,
> >
> > Could you help with this question about whether
> > <a name="foo"/> is valid xhtml 1.0 (I think it isn't) or, if
> > not, why the validator doesn't complain?
>
> It's perfectly valid.  Nothing in XHTML precludes <a> being empty,

Ah, I didn't know that bit of XML.

> The only thing
> it violates is the non-normative and problematic Appendix C.

Specifically [1]:

 C.3. Element Minimization and Empty Element Content

  Given an empty instance of an element whose content model is not
  EMPTY (for example, an empty title or paragraph) do not use the

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/#guidelines

> > > This page was sent as text/html but uses tags of the form <a name="foo"
> > > /> which does not actually close the <a> tag in conforming HTML4
> > > user-agents (I'm using safari 1.2.2).
>
> Indeed, this is why HTML4 is better-suited to the web today than XHTML.
>
> Alternatively, if tou have valid but non-Appendix-C-conforming XHTML,
> you can use mod_xhtml to ensure that it is Appendix-C-compliant when
> it is served.

What about serving it as something other than text/html? Per [2], it
seems like application/xhtml+xml is appropriate.

 _ Ian

[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media-types-20020801/xhtml-media-types.html#summary
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447