Re: Bug Report: Invalid code validates correctly

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Zed Pobre wrote:

> I have found what I think is an interesting bug in the validator at
> http://validator.w3.org/.  The page at
> http://www.math.lsu.edu/valid-check.html has an error in it; it is
> missing a closing ">" on an A tag.  However, the W3C validator does
> not detect this, and declares that the page is valid.  As there is now
> an unequal count of tag openings to tag closings, I do not see how
> that could be the case.  For reference, the WDG validator will catch
> this error (if you go to http://www.math.lsu.edu/wdg-html-validator/
> and enter the valid-check URL you can see this), but only if the link
> is entered directly (it also declares the page valid if you check by
> referer).

The WDG HTML Validator labels it as a "warning" rather than an "error";
it's valid according to SGML shorthand rules, but browsers may not handle
it correctly.

The WDG validator only provides warnings when warnings=yes is included
in the form data, which happens normally through the "Include warnings"
checkbox.  With a referer link, you could use

<a
href="http://www.math.lsu.edu/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=referer&amp;warnings=yes&amp;input=yes">WDG
Validator</a>

Kind regards,