Re: broken links

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 10:33, Robert A Stangarone Jr wrote:

> I have some html that I got from your website that turns a W3C XHTML 1.0
> image into a link that can be clicked on to check the page for valid XHTML
> 1.0. I found out today that it no longer works. Furthermore, I found that on
> one of your pages there is also a broken link. Specifically this is the
> page:
>
> http://validator.w3.org/docs/users.html#Calling
>
> And the secition that I am talking about is this:
>
> If you call the CGI program with extra path info matching "/referer" (i.e.
> <<http://validator.w3.org/check/referer>>) it will fetch the refering
> document and validate that. This means that if you embed a link to that URL
> in your pages, following on that link will send you the validation results
> for that page
>
> I have the very same link on my site, any suggestions?

The current development version of the validator explains:

   You have requested we check the referring page, but your browser did
   not send the HTTP "Referer" header field. This can be for several
   reasons, but most commonly it is because your browser does not
   know about this header, has been configured not to send one, or is
   behind a proxy or firewall that strips it out of the request before
   it reaches us.

If you want to be sure that the link always works, use

   http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=youruri

[Replace "youruri" with the URI you wish to validate using that link.
Yes, it's painful because you'll need a distinct link for every URI...]