Re: [www-validator] <none>

Hello Ade,

On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 02:04 Asia/Tokyo, Ade Rowley wrote:

> I think there may be a problem with the W3C validator service.  No
> matter what I do to the document to be validated, I receive the error
> that no character encoding could be extracted.  I have attempted with
> several documents, none of which are able to be validated and all of
> which do have the encoding required.

As far as I can tell, the W3C Markup Validation service is working
properly. You may have been unlucky and only tested document which
actually all lacked a proper character encoding declaration. If you
really think there is something wrong going on with the service, could
you send us the address of a page that shows a wrong behaviour, so that
we can use it as a test case?

I am not certain whether you were trying with "your own pages" and are
interested in the following help, but just in case... There is a newer
version of the Markup validator about to be deployed. It is under beta
test at:
<http://validator.w3.org:8001>

This new version is a bit more friendly when it comes to pages lacking
character encoding declaration, so that may help you. Also, it gives
you more information about the way you can remedy to this character
encoding issue in its documentation, see for example:
<http://validator.w3.org:8001/docs/help.html#faq-charset>

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using this service and reporting behaviours you think may
be a bug, this truly helps us improve this service.

Regards,
--
olivier