RE: Style tag not validated correctly for HTML 4.01

<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpueblo.sf.net%2F&doctype
=HTML+4.01+Transitional&ss=1>
I know there are several problems with the HTML on this page, but still,
what I reported still seemed accurate....

Side note, I thought XML syntax is fine for HTML 4, so long as you
include a space, as "<br />".  I don't think I used any in this
document, though.

# Line 7, column 24:  document type does not allow element "STYLE" here
(explain...).
                          ^
# Line 163, column 6: end tag for element "HEAD" which is not open
(explain...).
  </head>
	  ^
[...]
   1: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
   2: <html>
   3: <head>
   4:   <title>Pueblo/UE News</title>
   5: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1">
   6:   <basefont face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica" size=2>
   7:   <style type="text/css">
   8:   <!--
   9: BODY {
[...]
 160: }
 161:   -->
 162:   </style>
 163: </head>
 164: <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" style="margin: 0px 10px
10px 0px;">
 165:   <table border=0 width="100%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0>