CSS validator fails too (Re: Validator doesn't validate http://vaunt.net, but doesn't show any error)

That solved the problem and now the page is valid XHTML 1.1. It still doesn't
explain the strange behavior with the <meta> and <link> tags, though. I guess
the XML parser can't recover after the wrong <!doctype>.

Anyway, now I have problem with the CSS validator. It throws the following
error:

Target: http://vaunt.net
Please, validate your XML document first!

Line 2

Column 6

The processing instruction target matching "[xX][mM][lL]" is not allowed.

It's chocking on:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

If I remove this line, everything validates without problems. But the XHTML
specification conformance section
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/xhtml11.html#s_conform) states that:

"An XML declaration like the one above is not required in all XML documents.
XHTML document authors are strongly encouraged to use XML declarations in all
their documents."

I would expect that if my page validates as XHTML, it would also be a valid
XML, right?

Thanks,
Franci Penov
.