Re: Validator misleads content negotiation; prefers CSS

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 03:12:27PM +0900, Olivier Thereaux wrote:
> - you are negotiating, on your server, CSS and HTML resources.
> Negotiating should be done among equivalent resources in different
> formats or languages, which means negotiating some content and their
> stylesheet is a bad (abusive) use of format negotiation.

You're right. I eventually changed the CSS files' name -- since CSS
is not an alternative for the content and I no longer have problems
using the Validator.

> I do acknowledge that to cope with such (wrong) situations the Markup
> Validator should probably send a Accept: header stating a preference
> for content it can validate itself, but the situation should,
> generally, not happen if no-one abuses format negotiation...

I guess it doesn't _have_ to handle abuse, so that's left as a
feature request. However, sending the user browser's Accept-Language
along with the Validator's requests can still be a good idea (to match
what the user sees and what the Validator sees).