Re: Problem validating an <hr> tag

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 22:51, Tony Cervo wrote:
> I have  page that was validating as XHTML 1.0 previously, so I added the code snippet to include the validation icon.
> Someone pointed out it's no longer validating, so I re-checked it and
> get this error:
>      1. Line 84, column 26: the name and VI delimiter can be omitted
>         from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is
>         specified
>           <hr width="100%" noshade />
>                                     ^

You must use 'noshade="noshade"' with XHTML.  Be also sure to use the
XHTML 1.0 Transitional DTD, the noshade and width attributes are
deprecated and don't exist in XHTML 1.0 Strict or XHTML 1.1.

> (Also, why the change? I haven't touched the page, yet it no longer
> validates when it previously did...)

Impossible to say without a URL to try it out with... and I'd be
surprised to hear that the above snippet has ever sneaked past the
validator.

--
\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi