Re: using the xhtml validator on pages requiring login that pass cook ies to you

(I sent this reply yesterday, but it seems to be lost in the post;-)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Fred Guanzon wrote:

> Is there a way to use the xhtml validator on pages that require login and
> that pass cookies to you for your personal settings? If I try to use the
> validator on a site like that I usually get an error because I am redirected
> to the site's login page, even if I have already logged into the page and
> had its cookie passed to me.

The login and cookie are private between you and the server that sent
them.  It would be a serious security breach for your browser to expose
them to another server, such as the validator.

The Advanced Form at Page Valet offers a workaround for this: you
can explicitly set your username/password and cookie, and it will
then access your server as yourself to validate it.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/page/>

--
Nick Kew