Re: Validator acting strange

Ken Barbalace <kbarbalace@woodardcurran.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I use Opera 6.01 to validate my
>code using the "validate source" option on the context sensitive menu.
>Over the past couple of days I've noticed that the W3C Validator has
>been acting a little erratically.  Quite frequently it has been
>returning the validation error:
>Error: illegal character number 0
>Line 226, column 32:

This has been reported before but we have yet to identify a likely culprit.
I speculate that it's due to a combination of some weirdness in Opera and
the shoddy state of the file upload feature (which Opera uses to submit
files for validation). That whole part of the code is scheduled for a
rewrite somewhere down the line, but I'm not entirely sure when that will
be (there are a couple of bigger fish to fry first).

>Quite frequently over the past two maybe three days I have been
>noticing frequent server configuration error pages coming from the W3C
>Validator as opposed to the normal validation results page.

I haven't seen this and there have been no changes made that should cause
this. It's entirely possible that there's a `bot hitting the server or some
other such problem at work. Please let me know if you continue to have this
kind of problem -- server errors etc. -- particularly if it occurs in such
a way as to eliminate both Opera and the input you feed it as the cause.
Testing www.yahoo.com by entering it's URL in the form on the front page of
validator.w3.org is a good choice for this as that is part of our normal
testing procedure so it's known to work when last we touched the setup.

--
OS X makes Windows look like a fast, modern, user-friendly, and intuitive
operating system. The emperor has no clothes and a throbbing blue ass.