Re: schemes and relative URLs

* Ray Butterworth wrote:
>So that would mean that something like:
>
>    href="http:foo.html"
>
>is not legal, though I believe some browsers treat "foo.html"
>as a relative reference (as the author likely intended)
>and some as a site name.

Please see the last example in RFC 2396, section C.2, this case is
discussed there in detail.

>Assuming my interpretation above is correct,
>the question is, can your "http://validator.w3.org/check?uri="
>service be taught to notice such invalid URIs and report them?

For the Validator the content model of the href attribute is just
"character data", you may write whatever you want into that value,
the validator does not care about it. This is not likely to change
in the near future, sorry.