Re: "Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 120 it contained some byte(s)that I cannot interpret as big5"; and _other_ frustrations from an Asian user.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Franklen Choi wrote:

> I would like to make all the web-pages I create accessible to as many
> netizens as possible. However, although there are quite a number of
> tools that help web-designers to create interoperable Web page, I find
> that many of these tools are deficient when Asian Characters are
> concerned.

I guess that means we need more native speakers of Asian languages
developing tools!

> Example 3: W3C HTML Validation service displays the above subject
> message most of the time when my documents are sent to it, when actually
> the characters of these documents can be displayed properly by many
> browsers I test against (e.g. lynx, opera, netscape, m$ ie,
> konqueror,...)

There are two possible explanations of that:
  (1) Your pages are in error, and the browsers just happen to cope OK.
  (2) You have found a bug in the validator.

Can you supply one or more URL(s) that demonstrate the problem,
so we can investigate?

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>