Re: Macintosh charset blowing up?

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Terje Bless wrote:

> >Gerald, I suggest we upgrade to the newest version of iconv
> >and then see whether the problems are gone.
>
> The problem is that iconv is a part of glibc so to upgrade it we need to
> upgrade the whole box to a new version of the OS. That's a wee bit heavy
> handed.

I suggest a quick-hack fix for this, that I've added to Page Valet:

if ( charset matches /^mac(intosh|roman)/i ) {
  message("charset not supported; treating it as UTF-8") ;
  charset = "UTF-8" ;
}

> I'll try to find some time to test this on my development box (recent RH
> with glibc 2.2) so we at least know whether or not the problem is fixed.

Let us know if anything seems to improve :-)

BTW: this suggests to me that separating iconv from libc might be a
good idea.  Iconv on FreeBSD doesn't even try to support macintosh,
but has the advantage of being much easier to fix if we find a bug.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>