Re: Unwanted robot accesses from your site

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Olivier Thereaux wrote:

> Hi Bjoern.
>
> On Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002, at 13:48 Asia/Tokyo, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> > Why doesn't checklink qualify as a robot?
>
> My own definition of a robot is that it retrieves some data (the
> documents) or metadata (indexing). I may be wrong.

Checklink spiders.  Checklink puts a server under rapid-fire.
IMO these qualify it as a robot, and the latter is a valid reason for
a webmaster to exclude it.  So it must respect robots.txt.

> In any case I don't think checklink, even in recursive mode, should
> follow the robots directives (noindex is irrelevant, and nofollow would
> make it useless...). I'm interested to hear opposite arguments, though.

Nofollow doesn't make it useless: it makes it more useful.  A webmaster
knows what an automaton cannot know about conditions where a link
shouldn't be followed.

Besides, the Meta-thingey is a poor substitute for robots.txt.

--
Nick Kew