Re: flakey charset detection

RE: http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, David Brownell wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > I note you did not respond to my request to point out the mistakes,
> > internal inconsistencies, and biases that you said were in my document.
> > Should I assume you couldn't find any on a closer reading?
>
> No, you should assume I want to limit the amount of time I spend on
> this.  I didn't take notes when I read it, and I'd have to reread.

As I use this document quite frequently, I would appreciate it if you
would reread it and give me some comments.

> The bias ("don't use XHTML") is pretty strong.

The document doesn't say "don't use XHTML" at any point. It says "don't
send XHTML as text/html".

> I do remember noticing that you used one argument "against" XHTML in
> one context, and in a different context where it fought "for" XHTML you
> either neglected to apply it, or applied it in a way that'd have made it
> "for" in the first context (applying the argument consistently).

I don't believe I have any arguments against XHTML, only against sending
XHTML as text/html.

Maybe this isn't clear enough?

> I think there were multiple instances of that

I couldn't find any; I would love specific references if possible.