Re: New set of patches for 0.6.0

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:

>Yes, the FreeBSD version is based on, and has some enhancements to Hen's
>version.  I don't know if these are present in CVSView.

<URL:http://viewcvs.sourceforge.net/#Cvsweb>

I wish they'd upgrade to /ine/ of them; no matter which one (but the syntax
coloring in ViewCVS is pretty neat). :-)

>BTW; there's one more item to the TODO list I forgot: - check that all
>output is escaped properly, see URI::Escape, HTML::Entities,
>Apache::Util, http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-02.html
>
>Maybe 0.6.0 stuff, but will bitrot quickly as HTML output moves away
>from the script.  Anyway, needed.

Agreed. The CERT issue is not relevant to us AFAICT as we only display any
HTML to the user that submitted it, but this should be fixed on general
principle. I think I'll try to work it into 0.6.0 since it looks like it
will take some time before it can be released. I'll possibly also merge
0.6.0 and 0.7.0 into one release as neither of them can be released before
v.w3.org is upgraded to newer software (including Apache and mod_perl which
means it's probably just as well to upgrade the OS too).

I've looked at your latest patches.

* check-html.patch:
- Applied, with the usual nitpicking changes. :-)

* check-protocols.patch:
- In the process of being applied, pretty much as is.
- Contributes to upgrade need. LWP::UA 1.90 is pretty bleeding edge;
  it's not in Red Hat 7.2, much less the Debian stable running on
  v.w3.org that hasn't been updated in a while.

As soon as I finish un-breaking my current code I'll do a mondo commit of
my local version, tag it as validator-0_6_0a2, and update v.w3.org:8001.
When that's in I'll take a breather to try to decide where to go from
there; any input or huge patches would probably be well timed to coincide
with said breather period as that code will stay stable for a little while.

Thanks for the patches Ville!

--
Terje, you are a sick and twisted individual, and I
think I speak for all of us when I say, "Thank you!"

               -- John Gruber <gruber@barebones.com>