Re: External submissions for Validator service

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Terje Bless wrote:

> On 28.08.01 at 18:49, Alex Vincent <jscript@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm building a website to assist people in creating webpages which follow
> >"best practices" -- XHTML, object-oriented programming, etc.  I like your
> >HTML Validation service a lot, and I figure "why reinvent the wheel?".
> >I'd like to be able to submit a form from a webpage I create (and my
> >website fills in) to the W3C HTML Validation service directly.
> >
> >I don't want to infringe on W3C copyrights or anything, so the first part
> >of this e-mail is about getting permission in writing to do so, and
> >finding out any conditions the W3C would attach thereto for any webpage
> >submitting to its validator service.
>
> I don't speak for the W3C, but

That may be the best answer you'll get without some considerable effort
(and - not strictly relevant - if anyone has the moral right to speak
for W3C on this issue then Terje does, given how much he's put into it).

> I'd be a bit carefull about using a custom front-end and/or framing it; not
> that I think anyone would mind very much, but it's always better to be safe
> then sorry.

I can offer another option here: I run an equivalent service within the
Site Valet[1], and will be happy to discuss third-party access with you.
I can offer you the flexibility of not being answerable to a big and
diverse organisation like the W3C.

> For the greatest amount of flexibility, I suggest you download the source
> and set up a local copy on your web server. The validator is open source so
> this should not be a problem.

Indeed, that is another option to be recommended.  If you need help
installing it, support is available either through this list or
commercially (the latter from my company, not AFAIK from W3C).

> >form (wishlist!!!),

Wishlist items get worked on as and when time permits, or can be
prioritised if required by a commercial client.  IIRC the WDG validator[2]
already offers this particular function.

[1] See my .sig
[2] http://www.htmlhelp.org/tools/validator/

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>