Re: Validator goofs on missing '

At 10:24 2001/10/02, Ron Akkersdijk wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>While checking various HMTL webpages made by
>our students I discovered what I think is a bug.
>The validator does not complain when a '>'
>is missing, see for instance the html code
>below, where the final ">" is missing from "</body"

Funny you should mention that. I just discovered (serendipitously, while
checking an XHTML 1.0 transitional document) that the validator catches '<'
symbols when they are accidentally used where &lt; was actually intended,
but fails, in at least some cases, to catch '>' symbols when accidentally
used in place of &gt;.

I doubt if these peculiarities are related, but maybe our friendly
validator programmers can check on both if they are able to find a minute
to look into this.

--MB