Re: FPI and URI for dtd

At 13:14 +0000 2001-03-13, Nick Kew wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Karl Dubost wrote:
>
>>  SGML gurus,
>
>Are there any on this list?

:) we are all learning everyday!

>  > I'm in the process of starting of set of documents to build a test
>>  suite for HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 and I have detected something that
>>  seems to NOT be a problem for the HTML validator. :)
>>
>>  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>>  "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/foo.dtd">
>
>This situation has been discussed (at least in passing) on ciwah.
>
>The issue is of course that the validator, on encountering an
>FPI that can be resolved internally, ignores the external DTD.

ok no problem with this.

>AFAIK, this is correct behaviour.  Any change would therefore be
>incorrect in the context of validation.  It should be introduced
>only in the context of a decision to offer optional extra checks,
>as in the Page Valet.

	My proposal was NOT to validate depending on the external
DTD, but just verify that the FPI match to the external DTD. It's why
I think it could be good to have a warning saying:

"yoohoo authors, your FPI and your DTD are not compatible"

A 'warning' is not an 'error'.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/