Re: change without change confusing

On 22.06.01 at 14:33, Jon <jon@jonsplace.org> wrote:

>HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD used to validate day after day at W3C with a
>link opening in new window via the inclusion of target=_new - unquoted.
>Starting 06/22/01, it no longer does, on the same pages with the same DTD
>at the same W3C validator.

Then we've either introduced a bug, or fixed one, in the recent update. :-)

Can you give me the URL for a page that exhibits this problem?

>My comment has nothing to do with the validity of the HTML involved - only
>the fact that a validator which is inconsistent is useless. I now wonder
>how far I can trust W3C's online validator.

You can trust the Validator to be correct within the bounds of human
fallibility. We try very hard to ensure that the results produced are as
correct as we can possibly make them, but bugs _will_ sneak in there
occasionally. All we can do is try to keep them to a minimum and fix them
as quickly as possible when they do appear.