Re: Source shows in Greek (added info)

Robert Barger wrote:

 > After sending my message last Saturday and receiving no response on the
 > list, I attempted to cut and paste the validator's analysis into this
 > message so one could see the Greek characters (since the source code
 > appears in the validator's response completely in Greek). But when I cut
 > the Greek text from the validator's response (as it appeared on my
 > browser) and pasted it into my e-mail message...it appeared in English!
 >
 > Does anyone have a guess at what is causing this?

     I seem to recall IE5.x/Win having a bug that caused text to show up
in the Greek-symbol font for no apparent reason.  I seem to recall the
suggested fixes were the usual sort for that company's product: flush
out the cache, reinstall the browser, reinstall the operating system...
something along those lines.
     I'm curious-- does tha validator's CSS specify a generic font-family
for that text, without calling for a specific (i.e., named) font family?
   That's been known to trigger font-handling bugs in IE5.x/Win; for
example, declaring something like 'body {font-family: sans-serif;' will
sometimes get you nothing but null-character box symbols.
     (Hey, Dr. B!  How've you been?)

--
Eric A. Meyer ............. emeyer@netscape.com
Standards Evangelist ...... http://developer.netscape.com/evangelism/