Re: Error numbering

On 06.08.01 at 13:46, James Ralston
<qralston+ml.www-validator@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>I prefer the latter, because I've found that giving people some idea of
>the order of magnitude of their errors is a lot more effective at
>motivating the worst offenders.  Up to this point, to do that, I've
>scrolled through the validation results page and counted the errors. It
>would be very handy to get the errors back pre-counted.

Counting things is what computers do best. :-)

We could easily add a count of messages (this is not necessarily the same
as "errors") somewhere visible. You could then refer to a line/column
number to identify a specific message. We could even add an ID to each
message so you can refer directly to it.