Re: Page Valet error?

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Terje Bless wrote:

> >My best stab at this is as follows: [...]
> >  2.   The HTML 4 DTDs declare NAME as being of type LanguageCode.
> >   I don't know why - that's just how it is.
>
> The "name" attribute to the "META" element is defined as a SGML "NAME"
> token and is normatively described in prose as:
>
> # ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be
> # followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"),
> # underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").

The reference for my answer was the DTD.  I've just checked at
<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd>
and I find it's the same (as it jolly well should be): the relevant
excerpts seem to be:

<!ENTITY % LanguageCode "NAME"
    -- a language code, as per [RFC1766]
    -->

and:

<!ELEMENT META - O EMPTY               -- generic metainformation -->
<!ATTLIST META
  %i18n;                               -- lang, dir, for use with content --
  http-equiv  NAME           #IMPLIED  -- HTTP response header name  --
  name        NAME           #IMPLIED  -- metainformation name --
  content     CDATA          #REQUIRED -- associated information --
  scheme      CDATA          #IMPLIED  -- select form of content --

Could this be a bug in the DTD?  If so, it would seem to be W3C's fault -
rather than mine.

--
Nick Kew