Re: use of name and id in XHTML frame element

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Jim Isaak wrote:

> I'm using validator as part of my web design
> classes, and the example below as a question
> on "well-formed" vs "valid" vs "legal" for
> XHTML frameset DTD.

I can't see how the specific issue of attributes to frame elements
has any bearing on the question of well-formed vs valid.

[shameless plug]  You might find the visual validator at
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/page/> more helpful with understanding
validation errors.

  (when enclosed in
> <?xml, <!DOCTYPE, <html xmlns... tags.)
> It is well formed and illegal (copyright issue)
> but is it valid? ... following the lead in Dave
> Ragget's book (WROX, Beginning XHTML, pg197)
> the "name" attribute is deprecated, and "id"
> attribute the correct way to indicate the
> frame name.

Raggett is presumably discussing the general issue of "name" vs "id"
in those contexts where they serve the same purpose.  Since everything
associated with frames is deprectated, the use of a particular
deprecated attribute within a frame is of no importance: you are
already workihg to a legacy standard.

>	  However, it validates as "OK"
> with validator (using "name" but not "id").

Yes, it's legal in any context where <frameset>/etc are legal:
specifically the back-compatibility versions of the HTML4
and XHTML1 DTDs.  So it will validate.

> Should ID be required if name is included?

No.  ID is not required for any element.

> Chair: Internet Best Practices Standards Committee
>    http://computer.org/standards/Internet

That URL is incorrect (it needs a / on the end).  In view of what it's
advertising, I would urge you to correct it.

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>